Friday 30 January 2015

Animals: Rational Thoughts vs. Feelings


Do animals have the ability to rationalize? Not the way humans do, no. Humans are human. Goats are goats. Fish are fish. We're all different. But are our feelings different? Maybe other species don't rationalize at all. No one truly knows. But do animals have feelings? One does not need rational thought to have feelings. Feelings are instinctual

The two greatest motivations in life: 

Love & Fear

They are instinctual feelings transcending species, and we have them too.


I had a discussion with a farmer on twitter today . . . 

He said, "I'm *assuming* you believe a cow has the same rights as a human. I don't share that belief". 

To which I said, "You don't think cows feel the same magnitude of fear, grief, loss, pain, suffering and trauma as us?".

He replied with, "I'm not being mean, but no I do not believe animals have the ability for rational thought "

I replied with, "I don't think they can rationalize either. But they are aware. They understand. Feelings are instinctual. You don't think animals have feelings?"

He then said, "I don't believe [they] feel love as an emotion...if that makes any sense"

I replied, "Can you define love for me?"

After a couple of minutes, he replied with, "Shit  ;)"


This left me thinking . . . 

What is true love? 

How do I define love? 

And why doesn't anyone seem to know anymore, what love is, if we're so damn 'rational'?

Love . . .

Love is irrational. Fear is irrational. Love knows no bounds, and we all have irrational fears. 

Love, to me, is selflessness. Love is a bond. Love means giving up everything you have and everything you are, to protect that bond. To protect them. You would not just lay down your life, but you would suffer, just to see them happy and safe.

Love is trusting another. Love is knowing, without rationalization, that you are united, that you are safe, that no matter what, you’ll be there. True love doesn’t exist without intense fear: The fear of losing them or seeing them suffer. True love is not giving into that fear, not letting it ruin the happiness, the moments, that true love creates. 

Love exists between beings, without rational thought. Love is instinctual, as is fear. Both love and fear are life’s greatest motivators. They exist simultaneously in a place, for a period of time, surrounded by things, but always between beings. One cannot truly love things. Love connects people that exist in places and times, surrounded by things: All amounting to memories. All beings remember. One cannot love without memories. 

When we lay on our death beds, we will not think back on all the things we had, or the places we went, or the world we lived in. We’ll think about the people we loved, the moments we shared, and memories that we’ll leave behind. 

We are nothing without our memories. We are nothing without love. 

Make memories. Make love.

An animal's love is without rationalization. It is without motive. It exists in one form only: feeling. This is true love, untainted by thought, by ulterior motives, by things, other people's thoughts, expectations and manipulation. An animal's love is pure.

Does anyone know what pure love is anymore?



More blogs can be found here!

3 comments:

  1. so wonderful that he came to the point of questioning himself through your conversation. and great to read what you say about love - they say it makes the world go round :) so often 'love' means romantic partner love and all the other ways we feel and show our love are devalued. so thank you for showing your love for animals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed both the interaction and the thoughts it provoked. I agree with you and I hope that people learn to reconnect to this intuitive wisdom from which we've been taught to disconnect. With the help of such eloquent pieces like yours I'm hopeful this will happen. So thank you for being a voice for the animals, a beautiful, profound, wise voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veganart, thank you VERY MUCH for your insightful words. I am very touched! Many people read, but they rarely comment, so I often wonder about the impression left. I can't thank you enough for giving some glimpse into what I evoke when I pour my heart into text.

      Delete